Most Grand Slam Titles – Novak Djokovic WINS 21st GRAND SLAM TITLE: Novak Djokovic will eye a special record on Sunday evening.…
Most Grand Slam Titles – Novak Djokovic WINS 21st GRAND SLAM TITLE: Novak Djokovic will eye a special record on Sunday evening. A win on Sunday in Wimbledon 2022 Finals will make him level with America’s great Pete Sampras with seven Wimbledon titles. Only Roger Federer in men’s singles has won the prestigious Wimbledon tournament more with eight titles to his credit. Follow Wimbledon Final LIVE Updates and Wimbledon 2022 LIVE with InsideSport.IN.
- Novak Djokovic will be playing in his 8th Wimbledon final on Sunday evening
- A win will see Djokovic equal Pete Sampras’s tally of seven Wimbledon title and win 21st Grand Slam title
- Currently Djokovic is on a run of 27 consecutive wins at Wimbledon, last losing a match in 2017
Most Grand Slam Titles: Novak Djokovic chases three SPECIAL RECORDS today in Wimbledon FINALS, CHECK OUT and follow Djokovic vs Kyrgios LIVE
Novak Djokovic to equal Pete Sampras with 7 Wimbledon titles –
- As things stand Djokovic is on six Wimbledon titles and a win on Sunday will see his tally increase to seven.
- If he succeeds in beating Kyrgios, Djokovic will go level with Pete Sampras with seven titles.
- The Serbian star first won the Wimbledon title in 2011, beating Rafael Nadal in the final, since then he has added five more to his tally.
- Sampras on the flip side won his first of seven in 1993 and his last title came in 2000.
- However, the tally for most Wimbledon Men’s singles titles is led by Roger Federer on 8, having reached the Wimbledon final on 12 occasions.
- Martina Navratilova has won the Women’s singles titles on nine occasions, most at the SW19.
Most Wimbledon titles in Men’s Singles
|Roger Federer||Switzerland||8 (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2017)|
|Pete Sampras||USA||7 (1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)|
|Novak Djokovic||Serbia||6 (2011, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021)|
|Bjorn Borg||Sweden||5 (1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980)|
|John McEnroe||USA||3 (1981, 1983, 1984)|
|Boris Becker||USA||3 (1985, 1986, 1989)|
|John Newcombe||Australia||2 (1970, 1971)|
Can Kyrgios break Djokovic’s unbeaten run at Wimbledon?-
As things stand, Djokovic is on a run of 27 consecutive wins at Wimbledon. He won the title in 2018, 2019, 2021. Djokovic last lost a match at Wimbledon in 2017. That too was an injury retirement against Tomáš Berdych when he trailed 6-7, 0-2.
He last time lost a Wimbledon match in direct contest in 2016 against Sam Querrey. At that time he was eliminated in the third round. Currently Djokovic’s streak of 27 consecutive unbeaten is the fourth longest in the history of tournament. He only trails Roger Federer, Pete Smapras and Swede Bjorn Borg.
The indomitable Mr. Cool won 41 matches in a row in 1980’s.
Men with the longest winning streaks at Wimbledon (Open Era)
Bjorn Borg (1976-1981) – 41
Roger Federer (2003-2008)- 40
Pete Sampras (1997-2001) – 31
Novak Djokovic (2018-) – 28
Rafael Nadal (2008-2011) – 20
Djokovic chasing Rafael Nadal for Most Grand Slam titles-
- Currently, the No.1 Wimbledon seed has 20 Gran Slam titles, level with Roger Federer.
- However, it is the Spaniard Rafael Nadal who has the most Grand Slam singles titles with 22.
- A win for Djokovic will see him go on 21 Grand Slam titles, surpassing Federer.
- Djokovic will have the US Open to equal Nadal after the No.2 seed pulled out of the Wimbledon semifinal due to groin issue.
Most Grand Slam Titles
Rafael Nadal -22
Novak Djokovic – 21*
Roger Federeer – 20
Pete Sampras – 14