ICC Media Rights Auction – Broadcasters Boycott, ICC Shocked & Surprised: The International Cricket Council (ICC) is ‘shocked and surprised’ with boycott…
ICC Media Rights Auction – Broadcasters Boycott, ICC Shocked & Surprised: The International Cricket Council (ICC) is ‘shocked and surprised’ with boycott threat from the Indian broadcsasters. ICC is yet to officially react on the matter. On condition of anonymity one of the top ICC Official admitted to InsideSport that they are very surprised by the way broadcasters have percieved the ICC Tender. For record, all top 4 broadcasters (STAR Sports, Sony Sports, Zee & Viacom18) have stayed away from the MOCK AUCTION sessions organized by the ICC: Follow Sports Business News Updates and ICC Media Tender Updates with InsideSpot.IN.
“This is really shocking and surprising. The way some of the potential bidders have percieved the tender is not correct. ICC is a global governing body of the sport. To cast aspersion on our intent is incorrect. We have given all clarifications on the tender document, so why a issue.”, said a very peeved ICC official involved with the tender process.
ICC Media Rights Auction: ICC officials ‘Shocked and Surprised’ with broadcasters stand, no one ready to participate in ‘MOCK AUCTION’: Follow ICC Media Tender Updates LIVE
Why are broadcasters giving boycott threat? It’s been more than two months since some top broadcasters and ICC is at loggerheads. Such is the situation now that top 4 broadcasters from India i.e Viacom18, incumbent rights holder Disney Star, Sony Sports and Zee have not participated in the mock auction.
The mock auction was initially scheduled from August 12 to 16. But no confirmation from any of them have pushed the date to August 16 and 17th. It will be interesting to see if any of the BIG-4 requests for MOCK AUCTION exercies on Tuesday or Wednesday or not?
- All four cricket broadcasters have written to the ICC in last 10 days. According to them the current tender document does not encourage them to submit a bid.
- Broadcasters believe there is absolute lack of clarity on the process.
- The broadcasters have asked for a few changes in the rules, particularly over the bid submission schedule.
- The ICC tender norms says that by August 22 the bids should be submitted. According to the tender they will be opened on August 26.
- Broadcasters want the bid to be open in front of everyone on the day of submission itself.
“ICC officials have made a mess of this. The answers to our queries have made it more confusing for us. All their answers are ambiguous. We asked them who qualifies for the STAGE 2? What is the criteria? They don’t have clear cut answers. Our board may decide to boycott the tender completely. We may unfortunately have to take that course”, confirmed a very agitated Senior official of one of the top broadcast house from India to InsideSport.
ICC Media Rights Auctions: Top India broadcasters can boycott MEDIA RIGHTS Tender, worried ICC reaches E-Auction company’s DOORS: Follow LIVE UPDATES
Who are in fray? India’s top four broadcast networks Disney Star, Zee Entertainment Enterprises (ZEE), Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN), and Viacom18 are the prime contenders for the rights.
Other than this Dream11 parent company promoted FanCode and Amazon Prime Video have also picked tender documents.
The bidders are not satisfied with the clarifications provided by the world cricket governing body last week. They have expressed their strong disapproval of the proposed adoption of a hybrid system for the bidding process.
ICC Media Rights Tender Process
- Bids Submission: The bids must be submitted on August 22 via sealed envelope.
- Bids Opening: Bids will be opened on August 26 in Dubai (last time they were opened in London).
- ICC will then individually negotiate with the bidders
- According to the ICC, the successful bidders will be announced by early September.
- Bidders have raised FLAG over closed bid process as they feel it lacks transparency.
ICC Media Rights Tender: The ICC launched the 2024-31 cycle tender for the India territory on June 20. The tender is being conducted for both four and eight-years periods.
Interested parties have to mandatorily bid for four years with the option of placing a claim for eight years as well. One can bid for the television rights and digital rights separately as well as place a composite bid for both the rights.
The bids must be submitted on August 22 and they will be opened on August 26 in Dubai. The ICC said the successful bidders will be announced by early September.
Follow Sports Business News Updates and ICC Media Tender Updates with InsideSpot.IN.