Restorative yoga is a gentle, therapeutic form of yoga that uses props such as blankets, bolsters, and blocks to support the body in various poses. This practice is designed to help the body relax and release tension, and it offers a variety of physical, mental, and emotional benefits. Here are some of the benefits of restorative yoga:
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Restorative yoga is particularly effective at reducing stress and anxiety. By supporting the body in gentle poses and using breath work, this practice helps to activate the relaxation response in the body, which can help to lower cortisol levels and promote feelings of calm and relaxation.
- Increases Flexibility and Range of Motion: Restorative yoga poses are often held for several minutes, which can help to gently stretch and lengthen the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This can help to increase flexibility and range of motion over time.
- Promotes Better Sleep: Restorative yoga can be an effective way to promote better sleep. The practice can help to calm the nervous system and prepare the body for rest, which can lead to more restful and restorative sleep.
- Boosts the Immune System: Restorative yoga can also have a positive impact on the immune system. By reducing stress and promoting relaxation, this practice can help to boost immune function and improve overall health and wellbeing.
- Reduces Pain and Inflammation: Restorative yoga can be helpful for reducing pain and inflammation in the body. By gently stretching and releasing tension in the muscles and joints, this practice can help to ease pain and promote healing.
- Improves Digestion: Restorative yoga can also help to improve digestion. By activating the relaxation response in the body, this practice can help to reduce stress and tension in the digestive system, which can improve digestion and reduce digestive discomfort.
- Promotes Mindfulness and Emotional Wellbeing: Restorative yoga can also promote mindfulness and emotional wellbeing. By encouraging students to focus on their breath and physical sensations, this practice can help to quiet the mind and promote feelings of inner calm and peace.
Many people take Restorative Yoga Teacher Training to help learn more about practicing and teaching restorative yoga. While similar, Restorative Yoga Teacher Training is very different from Yin Yoga Teacher Training. In summary, restorative yoga offers a variety of physical, mental, and emotional benefits. By promoting relaxation, reducing stress and anxiety, increasing flexibility, boosting the immune system, reducing pain and inflammation, improving digestion, and promoting mindfulness and emotional wellbeing, this practice can help to improve overall health and wellbeing.